This Moroccan Fried chicken is made from fresh whole chicken, which is cut into pieces that have been battered and then deep fried. The batter adds a crisper crust to chickens exterior. The chicken cut at the joints with the bones and skin being left intact gives the delicious taste. It adds additional crispness to the chicken.
This fried chicken is “crunchy” and “juicy” as well as “crispy”.It is coated with whole wheat flour/all purpose flour and fried. Seasonings such as turmeric powder, paprika and salt are mixed with the flour.
Either process may be preceded by marinating with buttermilk, the acidity of which acts as a meat tenderizer along with black pepper, coriander, turmeric powder, paprika and salt. As the pieces of chicken cook, some of the moisture that exudes from the chicken is absorbed by the coating of flour and browns along with the flour, creating a flavorful crust.
I have posted Step by Step pictures for this recipe! Let’s get started.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 4 People
|Whole Chicken (Cut into pieces)||1|
|Whole Black Pepper||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Whole Wheat Flour/All Purpose Flour||1 cup|
|Oil For Frying||As Required|
- Take a whole chicken and cut into pieces.
- In a mortar & pestle/hand grinder add the whole black pepper, coriander seeds and crush it to a powder.
- Now add the turmeric powder, paprika and salt.
- Mix and combine all the spices together.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken pieces, rub and coat the spice powder on all the chicken pieces.
- Now add the buttermilk, lightly beaten eggs into the coated chicken pieces and mix well until it is well combined.
- Cover and rest it for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the flour to coat chicken. For a perfect crispy and juicy fried chicken it has to be fried twice in the oil.
- In a plate, add a cup of whole wheat flour/All purpose flour with some turmeric powder, paprika and salt. Mix and combine well. Now coat the chicken pieces for frying. Coat on all sides of the chicken.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Now carefully, start frying the battered chicken one by one. Cook the chicken until it is brown in color. Flip the chicken and rotate when it is being cooked to cook evenly on all sides. Never overcrowd the pan, which can cause the oil temperature to drop too low.
- When it turns golden brown take it out from the oil and place it on the wire rack to drain out the excess oil from the chicken. Repeat this for the other pieces.
- Now we have to fry the chicken pieces again after 5 minutes, which will result with the crispy and juicy fried chicken. Drop into the oil and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes. You could see the crispy layer outside the chicken pieces. Now you can take it out from the oil and place it on the wire rack. The chicken is ready to serve with your favorite dips.
- You can also make a burger with the breast pieces of this fried chicken. Moroccan buns are very tasty and a great combination with these Moroccan Fried Chicken.
Please do try this recipe and share it with your family and friends! I would love to hear what you think if you try this recipe. Just post a comment in the recipe below. Tag me on Instagram @sweetkaaramcoffee if you make this, or any of my other recipes, I’ll re-share on my stories.
Tips & Notes: