Broken wheat or Cracked wheat is made by milling whole raw wheat grains coarsely. It is highly nutritious as it does not undergo refining. Such cracked wheat has a large number of uses, especially as a dietary supplement. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber. It promotes weight loss and improve digestion and gut health.
Broken/Cracked wheat pongal or samba godhumai pongal is the same as ven pongal except that we replace rice with broken/cracked wheat rava. It is easy to make and tastes very delicious. This healthy pongal can be a breakfast or dinner. It tastes best when served hot with sambar and chutney. I have posted this recipe with Step by Step Pictures. Let’s get started.
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 4 People
|Cracked Wheat/Godhumai Rava||1 Cup|
|Moong Dal/Pasi Paruppu||1/2 Cup|
|Ghee/Clarified butter||1/4 tsp|
|Ghee/Clarified butter||1 tbsp|
|Whole black pepper||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Green Chilli (optional)||1|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Curry leaves||a sprig|
- Take all the ingredients which are needed for preparing the dish.
- Heat 1/4 tsp of ghee/clarified butter and roast the wheat rava on medium heat stirring continuously until you get a nice aroma.
- Remove the wheat rava and keep it aside.
- Now add the Moong Dal/Paasi Paruppu and fry until you get a nice aroma.
- Remove the moong dal, wash it and add the washed wheat and moong dal with 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker , add salt to taste. Give a quick mix.
- Close the lid and Pressure cook for 3 – 4 whistles.
- After 3 – 4 whistles once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and mash the contents when it is hot.
- Heat a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee after the ghee becomes hot, add cumin seeds, whole black pepper, chopped ginger, green chilli, cashew nuts and hing and saute for 3 minutes.
- Then add it to the cooked wheat rava and moong dal. Mix and combine well.
- Delicious and Healthy Broken Wheat Rava Pongal/ Godhumai Rava Pongal is ready to serve with coconut chutney, sambar and coriander chutney.
Please do try this recipe and share it with your family and friends! I would love to hear what you think if you try this recipe. Just leave a comment in the recipe below. Tag me on Instagram @sweetkaaramcoffee if you make this, or any of my other recipes, I’ll re-share on my stories.