This recipe is adapted from Madras Samayal on YouTube.
I have modified some ingredients in the stuffing.
Coconut Bun is one of the favorite snack, which we used to get in the bakery in our childhood days. It’s a sweet, which has plenty of coconut and other fillings like dried fruits and nuts. I tried with coconut, cashew nuts and raisins (kismis). My husband likes coconut bun a lot and I tried making it, and the result was too good. He liked a lot. And surprisingly, my little one loved it and he said it tastes very good and flavorful.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Resting Time: 1 – 2 hours
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 Pieces
|Sugar(For activating yeast)||1 tsp|
|Maida/All purpose flour||2 cups|
|Melted Butter||4 tbsp|
|Grated Coconut||1 1/2 cup|
|Powdered Sugar||3 tbsp|
|Milk for Brushing||2 tbsp|
- In a bowl add 1/2 cup of warm milk, 1 tsp sugar, and yeast, let it sit for few minutes or until the yeast activates.
- In a large mixing bowl add maida/all purpose flour, 3 tbsp sugar, pinch of salt, melted unsalted butter, activated yeast milk and knead for 10 min.
- Coat with oil and let it rest for 1 – 2 hours.
- In a small pan add 2 tsp of ghee and slightly roast the cashew nuts and raisins for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl add the grated coconut, roasted cashew nuts, raisins and 3 tbsp of powdered sugar. Mix well and keep it aside.
- After an hour or once the dough is doubled, divide it into 2 and roll them as little thick round sheets.
- Take a 9 inch baking pan. Place one layer of the rolled dough in the pan. On top of it stuff the coconut filling and cover with other sheet and seal the edges tightly. Let it rest for another 15 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now brush the top layer with some milk and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and slice it with the knife. The delicious coconut bun is ready to be served.
Please do try this recipe and share it with your friends and family.