In Tamil Nadu, salna is one of the best side dish for parotta that is served in roadside hotels. Parotta salna is a popular street side hotel food in Madurai, Dindigul, Salem and Chennai. Plain salna is also popularly known as empty salna. Empty salna is nothing but plain tomato based masala gravy without vegetables. Its a vegetarian salna recipe. Its so flavorful and tastes great not only with parotta but also with idli, dosa, chapathi and idiyappam. You can use this salna for making kothu parotta.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size : 4 people
|Cooking Oil||3 tbsp|
|Black stone flower / Kalpasi||1|
|Onion||1 big ( 200 grams)|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Cumin powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1 to 1 1/2 tsp (adjust according to the spice level)|
|Coriander powder||1 to 1 1/2 tbsp|
|Salt to taste|
|Grated Coconut||1/2 cup|
|Fennel Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Khus Khus/ poppy seeds||1 tsp|
- Chop onion, tomato, green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Temper the whole garam masala.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and curry leaves.
- Saute till raw smell goes off. Lastly add chopped tomato and cook till mushy.
- Add required salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix well for a minute. Lastly add the ground coconut paste.
- Add sufficient water and pressure cook in low flame for 1 – 2 whistles.
- Remove the cooker lid after the steam is released.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- Flavorful salna is ready to serve with parotta, idiyappam, dosa and idli.