Thalapakatti Chicken Biryani Recipe is a very famous style of biryani from Dindigul region in the state of Tamil Nadu. This biryani is from a chain of restaurant with the same name. It is called “Thalappakatti”, which literally means the turban, the person who was founder wore a turban and that’s how the biryani gets its name. The biryani is highly flavorful and it is different because of the spice mix that is used to make this biryani.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 3 people
|Onion||1 big onion ( 200 grams)|
|Ginger||4 small pieces|
|Lemon juice||1 tbsp|
|Chilli powder||2 tsp (Adjust according to your spice level)|
|Coriander powder||2 tsp|
|Cumin powder||1 tsp|
|Seeraga samba rice||1 1/2 cup|
|Salt to taste|
- Grind coarsely the onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Grind cardamom, cinnamon, stone flower, star anise, cashew nuts, bay leaf into a powder.
- Add ghee and oil in a pot. Then add in the onion paste into it and fry until the raw smell goes and then add in the grinded masala powder into it and let it cook for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Add in the chicken pieces and saute with the masala foe about 5 minutes. Add the salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add some mint leaves and coriander leaves and mix well, keep little of mint and coriander leaves for later.
- Add yogurt and lemon juice. Cook for few minutes till all masala comes to a boil.
- Add 3 cups of water for 1 1/2 cup of rice. (Soak the rice for about 20 minutes). Let it cook for 5 minutes. Keep stirring and check the salt.
- As the water boils add in the rice and cook in medium heat without closing the pot. Keep stirring once in a while to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Preheat oven for 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the rice is cooked 80% (with little water left inside) add the remaining mint and coriander leaves, cover with the aluminium foil and place it in the oven for about 10 minutes and leave it in dum.
- Once done take it out and keep it covered with the foil for half an hour.
- After half an hour open the foil and give it slow mix.
- Yummy biryani is ready to be served.